I am guilty of scrolling through people’s profiles and swiping left because of a bad photo (don’t really care too much for the bio if they photo ain’t right) — possibly losing out on a good thing, but oh well — let’s move on. I get it—setting up a dating profile can be intimidating and time-consuming when you’re trying to stand out amongst millions of other single people looking for love. But do you want to know something? You are probably just overthinking it and it’s actually way easier than you think. Don’t get me wrong, being thoughtful is a good thing, and shows that you care about what you put out there and how people will receive it.
So for all you thoughtful ‘single’ folks, I have put together 5 simple tips that make creating a dating profile a whole lot less intimidating, and a whole lot more—dare I say—fun.
- Upload a variety of photos. Varying up your photos helps people see more of who you are and what you like to do. Start with a solo shot, then add in photos from travels, luncheons or pics where you’re enjoying a hobby like cooking or even stamp collecting—trust me, someone out there is into it too.
- Add a caption. Adding a caption to your photos gives potential matches a little more context—not to mention a possible conversation starter: “You like to ferment kimchi, too? So cool!” Plus, captioning your photos ensures you’ll show up in OkCupid Discovery, so you can connect with people who are interested in the same things you are. Discovery helps you get noticed for the things you really care about.
- Show some support. Today more than ever, people want to date people who care about the same things they do. So if you volunteer for a local organization or support a non-profit, say something in your profile! At OkCupid, we make it even easier to connect over certain causes; right now, we’re supporting Planned Parenthood (and Planned Parenthood supporters) with the #IStandWithPP profile badge for all users who support the non-profit. Stay tuned for the next organization to be featured!
- Upload new pics. This one’s easy: adding new pics increases your likes by at least two times. And while you’re at it, you might as well connect your Instagram account. Folks who connect Instagram to their profile get more messages than those who don’t.
- Don’t forget to spell-check. Someone would really judge you for a little typo? Yes. Over 75% of people say they’re less likely to respond to someone who has spelling mistakes in their profile. No harm in a quick proofread.
Now it’s time to show off your best assets!